Gone are the days of painful epilating sessions that make you cry and head to a parlour to get waxed. Spending a couple thousand every month on removing body hair is a recurring habit for many women across India. But what if I told you that you could save this money by spending just a fraction on a great epilator?
We have put together this list of best epilators for women in India so that we can stop you from swiping your card unnecessarily at the parlour next time. Maybe you can get a facial or a massage instead?
Would you believe me if I told you that epilators now come with massagers that make sure you feel no pain during hair removal? That is the machine version of the aesthetician (read, salon lady) immediately applying pressure on your armpit after waxing the hair off. That’s how far epilators have evolved. Here are the best epilators in India that have made it to our list:
1. Braun Silk-Epil 9-558
This epilator from Braun has made it to the top of the list as this is a personal favourite. Trust me when I tell you that I have tried at least 8 epilators before I fell in love with this baby.
- This is a dry and wet epilator which means that you can even use it in the shower.
- This is a cordless epilator. So once you charge it fully, it is good to go for hours.
- There is a light that helps you spot those small hairs that try to get away.
- This also comes with a facial epilator, a skin contact cap, and a high-frequency massage cap.
2. Braun Silk-Epil 7 7-561
This comes in very close to number 1 as this is just as good. But this comes with a trimmer as opposed to the face epilator that our number 1 comes with.
- This epilator can be charged in just 1 hour for 40 minutes of use.
- You can use this epilator for both dry and wet hair removal sessions.
- This is also cordless.
- The Braun Silk-Epil 7 7-561 comes with 8 supplements which include a high-frequency massage cap, a trimmer cap, a shaver cap, a facial cap, an efficiency cap and, a sensitive area cap. This makes this one a full body epilator!
3. Braun Epilator 3/3270
Next on our list is this Braun Epilator, which is third only because it does not come with fancy supplements. However, that is what makes this epilator affordable.
- This epilator has 20 tweezers that work together to remove maximum hair in one stroke.
- Its massage rollers help stimulate the skin for comfortable epilation.
- There is also a smart light that makes sure all the hair is visible for efficient removal.
- This epilator is not completely without supplements. It comes with a shaver cap and a trimmer head.
4. Philips BRE635 Satinelle Epilator
Drum roll for the first Philips body epilator on our list, please! Philips is one of the best epilator brands out there simply because they focus on making high-quality products at affordable prices. I know what you are wondering. No, Philips does not pay me to say that.
- It has 40 tweezers and you can easily remove even the shortest hairs (0.5 mm long) with this epilator.
- You can use it without a cord for 40 minutes after 1.5 hours of charging.
- This comes with a delicate area cap, a skin stretcher cap, and a facial hair cap. It also has a shaving head with a trimming comb
- It’s a wet and dry epilator.
5. Philips BRE200/00 Satinelle Epilator
This is a basic epilator from Philips that is a great choice if you are on a budget.
- This has an easy grip for great and comfortable hair removal.
- You can use it on delicate areas as it comes with a sensitive area cap.
- Hair takes 4 weeks to grow back.
- The product has a two-year warranty.
6. Philips BRE245/00 Satinelle Epilator
Next from Philips is this great affordable epilator that gets the job done!
- Pulls the hair out from the root for great epilation.
- Hair takes at least 4 weeks to grow back.
- The ergonomic grip makes it very comfortable to hold during epilation.
- It also has a shaving head and comb.
7. Philips BRE235/00 Satinelle Epilator
Philips should be applauded for the number of options they have for us girls whose body hair is a huge never-ending problem.
- It pulls hair out from its root and hair takes 4 weeks to grow back.
- It has two speed settings: 1 for gentle epilation and 2 for quick epilation.
- It comes with a sensitive area cap.
- The epilator head can be washed completely.
8. Babila Lady Shaver and Epilator
Welcome the newbie on our list from Babila. So refreshing to try and review an epilator that’s not from Philips or Braun.
- Stainless-steel tweezers swiftly removes hair from the root leaving your skin feelong smooth.
- You can use it in delicate areas.
- It is very easy to clean and can be used cord-less.
- You can use it for 40 minutes without the cord after 10 hours of charging.
Benefits of using epilators
I have touched upon some obvious benefits of epilation over the course of my article but let’s look at what exactly we’ll be getting in exchange for our hard-earned money.
- We can save thousands of Rupees from not waxing. You can all spend it on something else or save it! Even spending just Rs.1000 a month is Rs.12000 a year and Rs.1,20,000 for 10 years! Not gonna lie, I was way past the 1,00,000 mark when I started epilating.
- Waxing over the course of time causes skin sagging and we all know that. Start epilating and battle at least one sign of aging early on.
- You can epilate at the convenience of your own home. You can epilate last minute before a trip or can carry the epilator on the trip and use it just before your big night. My favourite is epilating while watching a great episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S. It’s therapeutic, I tell ya!
- Good riddance to in-grown hairs!
- The smoothness that you feel after an epilating session lasts much longer than just reaching home from the parlour
- Different epilators come with different supplements that can be used all over your body. You can use epilators on your bikini area, underarms, and even your face.
- This is a great alternative if you are allergic to wax!
Epilating, in the long run, can reduce the rate of hair growth by a great deal. And before you know it, you’ll only be epilating twice a year!
Epilation: Before & After Care
Prepping your skin before epilation is just as important as the epilation itself. It is very important that your skin is clean and dry. If you are gonna epilate your whole body, it is best if you take a shower. None of us wanna see the epilator collecting dirt as we roll it on ourselves. Never exfoliate right before epilation. If you are gonna exfoliate, do it at least 24 hours prior.
And do not moisturize. The drier the skin is, the easier it is for the tweezers to find the hair. I know waterproof epilators now exist so you can epilate in the shower. However, the skin being wet doesn’t make it easy for the hairs to be plucked. Epilating in the shower can be a long and tiresome process. But may people swear that it is pain-free.
Once you are done feeling how soft your skin feels post-epilation, dust off all the hair and run your recently epilated skin under lukewarm water and pat dry. This is, however, an optional step.
What you absolutely must do is apply something as natural as aloe vera gel or coconut oil gently over the skin. Do not apply soap/scrub or exfoliate for the next 24 hours.
Oh and don’t forget to clean your epilator!
Tips for first-timers
- Don’t worry about how to hold the epilator against your skin. Hold it in a way that you are comfortable and can feel the hair being removed. Don’t stress over the 90° angle.
- Use one hand to properly tighten the part of the skin that you are gonna run the epilator over. This is a great trick to minimise pain.
- Using an epilator with a massage head can ease the pain a great deal.
- Make sure you epilate at least 18-24 hours before your big date night. This way, you will give your skin enough time to get any negative reactions out of the way.
- Always use speed setting 1 as this allows your skin to get used to the idea of getting epilated. Only use speed setting 2 when you are comfortable and not just because you are in a hurry.
- Run the epilator in an upward direction against the direction of hair growth and run it slowly. Running the epilator fast will cause broken hairs which may not get plucked easily. Slow epilation ensures complete epilation.
- If you are epilating your face, start with the unibrow.
- Don’t build up the pain too much in your head. If it really was “that” painful no one would use it. But if you absolutely cannot bear the pain, try a numbing cream with lidocaine. Follow numbing cream usage instructions on the package carefully.
- Remember that the epilator is in your hand. You can always stop and take a break!
Now that I’ve told you everything I know about epilation, it’s your turn to choose one that’ll suit you the best. So choose wisely!