Face wash is an irreplaceable toiletry for all of us – we as consumers have come a long way from using DIY face cleansers to soaps and to era of face washes now that promises to cleanse the skin thoroughly despite of the effect of pollution, make-up, dirt, oiliness and grease from our sebaceous glands. Every one of us would have used a face wash in their life at least once and if you haven’t, then you are about to find out why you should get one and which one as well.
Face washes are very practical when it comes to thoroughly rinsing the face. The skin of the face is much thinner and more receptive to the beating of the environment than the skin of the body. The formulation of the face wash is designed in a way to keep it mild and yet effective enough to counter any dirt, grease and impurities that may accumulate on the skin.
We are here to discover the best face washes available to the consumers in India. This is a general list which includes everything: Face wash for women, men and for targeted concerns and skin type such as acne, oily skin, combination skin, dry and itchy skin, tanned skin etc..
Click here to see how we rank our products.
If you have been looking for the best face washes in India, here is a list to refer to:
The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Wash
Forest Essentials Mashobra Honey, Lemon and Rosewater Face wash
Nivea Milk Delights Face wash with Caring Rose water
Best Face Wash in India for All Skin Concerns | All Categories
The Top 20 Best Face washes in India| Product Review
1. The Body Shop Tea Tree Face Wash
Category – Normal to oily skin, acne prone
Best Overall Face Wash
The Body Shop Tea Tree Face wash is part of the Tea Tree range of products which has everything starting from face washes, toners, face masks, scrubs, shower gel, moisturisers etc. This range has some of the best products and has powerful tea tree extracts in all its products. It is our best face wash in this list based on product quality and user experience.
- Enriches with community trade tea tree oil from Kenya
- Suitable for all skin types but is targeted for oily and acne prone skin
- Has a refreshing effect on the skin and wakes the skin up with a blast of fresh aroma
- Clears blemished skin and fades away acne scars
- Does not strip the skin off of natural oil but effectively cleans dirt and grim from the face
- It is a hypoallergenic, mild face wash safe for men and women and is dermatologically tested and organic.
- The body shop products are all cruelty free as well.
- Comes in a 250ml bottle only and is steeply priced.
2. Forest Essentials Mashobra Honey, Lemon and Rosewater Face wash
Category – For Dry skin, Sensitive skin
Best Premium Face Wash
The Forest essentials Mashobra Honey, Rosewater and Lemon face wash is a soothing face wash suitable for normal to dry skin types. The Face wash is part of the Forest Essentials cleansing range that are all prepared using traditional methods with cold pressed oils and natural ingredients. It is one of the best brands to buy when it comes to natural and ayurvedic skin care solutions. This face wash is perfect for cleaning any impurities whilst honey effectively cleanses the skin and the rose water calms the skin down and heals dryness and irritation.
- A face wash with natural ingredients such as honey which is known to be an effective skin care ingredient, steam distilled rose water for sensitive skin and lemon for clearing out skin problems’
- A pure ayurvedic product that is made from organic ingredients and is handmade to pack all the goodness
- The face wash is also laced with Vit E oil which protects the skin against UV Rays
- A safe to use, ayurvedic product that contains all natural ingredients.
- Suitable for normal to dry skin and sensitive skin that is easily irritated by chemicals
- The Lemon and honey works towards cleansing the face whereas the rose water adds glow and shine to the skin
- With regular use and while using the toner as well as the moisturiser, the effects on the skin are multifold and undeniable
- The most expensive product on this list
3. Kama Ayurveda Anti Acne Foaming Face wash
Category – Normal to oily skin, acne prone
The Kama Ayurveda Anti Acne Foaming Face wash is a potent yet mild face wash developed by the ancient principles of ayurveda. It combines powerful ingredients such as Sweet basil, Tea tree and Neem. This combination helps in effectively fighting off skin ailments such as acne, scars and skin irregularities such as rashes and fungal infections.
- A very powerful formula that can cure acne and skin infections from the first few washes
- Pure organic ingredients which cure and heal the skin. The brand is completely vegan
- Neem fights off skin infections and purifies from deep within, Tulsi is a powerful astringent and detoxifies the skin. Tea tree aids in healing and soothing the skin.
- Comes in a pump bottle which makes the application easy and germ free. Also is travel friendly
- Is proven to be very helpful in reducing the outbreak of acne and helps in calming the skin down
- Is great for all skin types but best suited for those with chronic skin ailments
- Expensive for the quantity offered.
4. Urban Botanics Tea Tree and Basil Face wash
Category – Normal to oily skin, acne prone
The Urban Botanics Tea tree and Basil face wash is one of the best affordable face washes on this list. Although it is cheap, it is also one of the highest rated products on this list. This face wash is enriched with the goodness of neem and basil and is best suited for acne prone skin.
- Effectively cleanses the dirt and impurities on the face and creates a shine free appearance
- Neem and basil work towards clearing out excess oils from the face and help control the sebum level on the skin through the day
- It is a mild formulation which is suitable for daily use and effectively counters skin problems with regular usage.
- Comes in a tube format which is easy to carry and travel- friendly. The quantity for the price is unbeatable
- The product is all organic and is SLS, Paraben and other harmful chemicals free.
- The formula is fresh and mild and cleanses the skin from deep within and helps repairing the skin from further damage due to the environment
- Some users felt that the face wash dried their skin out.
5. Lakme Absolute Perfect Radiance Face wash
Category – Skin Lightening, detoxifying
Lakme is the most common brand when it comes to Indian skincare and makeup. Lakme has a range of face washes and skin creams available that make it varied and suited for each different kind of user. This product here is for the women of the modern day that needs a tough makeup removing cleansing solution. This face wash is best suited for removing oil dirt and buildup on skin left behind by makeup
- Cleans thoroughly for a deep pore cleansing effect and washes away oil, dirt and impurities logging the pores
- Infused with complex vitamins and a ‘continuous release technology’ this face wash promises to lighten the skin tone
- The formula helps in releasing skin vitamins through the day even after your first face wash
- Promises to work on the top 6 common concerns – Acne, spots, dullness, Tanning, oiliness, uneven skin tone
- Lightens the skin tone when used in tandem with the rest of the range products
- Comes in a small travel-friendly tube format
- Quantity is quite less
6. Neutrogena Deep Clean Foaming Cleanser
Category – Detoxifying, Deep cleansing
The Neutrogena Deep Clean Foaming cleanser is a very renowned product in the market. The brand Neutrogena is a Thai brand that has a varied skin care range, They have one of the best face wash ranges that caters to all skin types and all target issues. The deep clean range offers complete cleaning solution with just a pea-sized amount.
- Formulated for the users that need effective cleansing after a day out in the sun and harsh pollution. This formula peels off all the dirt and impurities with just one wash
- Formulated for normal to oily skin, the deep clean cleanser can clean off 99% micro pollutants from the skin in one go
- Effective formula with the goodness of glycerin and bees wax
- Deep cleans the pores to reveal clean and purified skin
- Counteracts pollution and other harmful toxins that may settle on the skin and cause clogging of pores and therefore excess sebum and acne
- Clinical studies have proven effects on the skin when used after stepping out in everyday pollution
- Strong formulation which may cause dryness
7. Clean and Clear Foaming Face wash
Category – Acne prone, deep cleansing
The Clean and Clear Foaming face wash is one of the most trustworthy and one of the oldest face washes in the market. It is a proven veteran in the field of effective cleansing for the face and is a very affordable buy. Clean and Clear is a product of Johnson & Johnson which is a home staple for every user.
- A mild Chemical formula for daily use that can clear off any excess oil and dirt from the face and leaves the skin soft and supple
- One of the most used product for clearing acne causing germs that attack the face due to excess clogging of pores
- It prevents from blackheads to appear on to the face
- A mild and refreshing formula that can clean the face effectively
- Comes in a small tub which is easy to carry and travel friendly
- Prevents oiliness, shiny appearance, pimples and blackheads from appearing on the face with regular usage.
- Purely cosmetic and no active ingredients are mentioned anywhere
8. WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Foaming Face Wash
Category – Deep cleansing, oily skin
WOW Skin Sciences is a very catching up brand in the market of self care and hygiene, The brand offers all the products for skin care such as face washes. Tones, moisturisers, aloe gels, bath shower gels etc. The brand is a promising entrant to the skin care market and the Apple Cider Vinegar Face wash is one of their most popular products. Rich in ACV extracts this face wash effectively cleans the skin and leaves it squeaky clean while also balancing the pH of the skin and keeping away acne and blemishes
- Made with ingredients like Apple cider vinegar Vitamin B5, Vitamin E, Aloe vera extracts which are natural skin enhancers
- Apple Cider Vinegar is Bioactive-rich which supplements skin, removes dirt and grease, kills the bacteria and removes the dead skin cells
- Clears the skin, reduces blemishes, wrinkles, fine lines, clears the pore
- This luxurious face wash comes in tube with a brush weighing 141 grams, which exfoliates the skin, reduces the puffiness, and creates soft and supple skin
- Maintains skin elasticity and prevents wrinkles due to the presence of Vit E oil
- Made without parabens, silicones and sulphates and other harmful toxins.
- Has a strong vinegar smell
9. St Botanica Vit C Face wash
Category – Deep cleansing, complexion repair, all skin types
The St Botanica Vit C Face wash is a powerful citrus based face wash in the market. The brand St Botanica itself is a clear Vit C focussed brand and has many products under their Vit C range such as face washes, toners, serums, lotions and moisturisers.
- The St Botanica Vit C face wash is a super charged lemon and orange based face wash that cleans the skin thoroughly off of impurities and leaves a glowing skin
- It is infused with rich kashmiri saffron, lemon peel and cypress that leave the skin glowing and lightens the skin tone
- Does not make the skin feel stripped off of natural oils
- Cleans the pores thoroughly and clears excess oil and dirt from the surface of the skin
- Vit C is known for its regenerative effect on the skin. The formula can make the skin look more youthful and supple
- The antioxidants in lemon, neem and turmeric leave a uniform glow on the face and create a fresh appearance with each wash
- Not recommended for everyday use
10. Lakme Blush and Glow Strawberry Gel Face Wash
Category – Normal skin, acne prone, For teenagers
Lakme Blush and Glow is one of the most affordable products on this list. Lakme is a household name and a staple in cosmetics in India. Their range of beauty and skin care products are very popular and the blush and glow range of face washes are one of their most successful products.
- The Blush and Glow Strawberry face wash has a refreshing strawberry scent that immediately wakes your skin up and makes one feel refreshed.
- The formula has a strawberry bead texture that can help scrub away the dead skin cells and remove oil and dirt from the skin
- A mild formula that is suited for young girls and teenagers and is perfectly safe on skin
- A great smelling face wash with a fresh burst of strawberry scent
- Helps remove oil and impurities from the skin with a scrub like a gel texture
- Can be used by all age groups, all skin types and by men and women. Comes in a handy tube format which is easy to travel with.
- No special feature or active ingredients
11. Nivea Men Face Wash for Oil Control
Category – Men specific, Oily skin
The Blush and Glow Strawberry face wash has a refreshing strawberry scent that immediately wakes your skin up and makes one feel refreshed.
The formula has a strawberry bead texture that can help scrub away the dead skin cells and remove oil and dirt from the skin
A mild formula that is suited for young girls and teenagers and is perfectly safe on skin
- An all-in-one formula that cleans dirt and melts off excess oil for men’s facial skin from the first wash itself
- Controls acnes, clears blackheads and blemishes, controls scars and helps them fade away and cleans the facial skin effectively
- Also suitable for men who have beard or mustache as the Vit C in the formula can help clean the facial hair and control the grease.
- Comes in adorable bottle which is sturdy and with a pump top which is relockable making it perfect for travel
- The face wash has Vit C that clears marks ion the face while fighting new acnes and keeps the germ away
- Has a minty formula that leaves the skin cool and refreshed after each wash.
- Some users felt that it did not effectively clear the oiliness from the skin
12. The Man Company Activated Charcoal Face Wash
Category – Men specific, Oily skin
The Man Company Activated Charcoal is a very popular charcoal based range of products that specifically targets the men in the skincare audience. Their range of charcoal products has everything made from the base of activated charcoal such as shower gels, shampoos, conditioners and face washes.
- The Man company is a premium men specific grooming product that has activated charcoal as their base for all skincare products – this face wash as well
- The face wash has extracts of ylang ylang and Argan that unclogs the pores and restores skin smoothness and fights signs of ageing
- The activated charcoal base helps scrubbing away excess oil, dead skin, dirt and debris from the skin
- A coarse charcoal formula that helps scrub away dead skin cells and exfoliate the skin ina natural way without causing damage
- The powerful ylang ylang extract and argan can helps seal in moisture and fights skin stress caused by the environment
- Fights acne and clears of excess oils even from the facial hair making it suitable for those who have beard and mustache
- The smell is not very pleasing
13. Nivea Milk Delights Face Wash with Caring Rose Water
Category – Sensitive skin, dry skin
Best Value Face Wash
Nivea Milk delight range of products is one of the many Nivea face washes. Nivea has some of the exemplary face wash ranges and the Nivea Milk Delights focuses on milk based creamy formulation with various active ingredients each focussing on one target issue of the skin such as acnes, dryness, irritation, sunburnt, dullness, whitening etc.
- The Nivea Milk Delights Caring rose water face wash is specially formulated for the sensitive skin users with irritation from chemicals or sunburns.
- The rose water extracts coupled with the milk base helps heal the skin and calm down any irritation or inflammation on the skin
- Helps achieve a healthy glow with regular usage as the rose water is proven ingredient to lighten the skin tone
- Milk and rose water based formula keeps the skin clean, soft and glowing
- Heals cracked skin on the cheeks, nose and around the eyes due to cold or harsh weather and is mild for extra sensitive skin
- Comes in a handy tear drop shaped bottle which is easy to carry
- Too mild to clean dirt and oil from the face. Can be used as a secondary cleanser
14. Blue Nectar Ayurvedic Honey and Neem Face Wash
Category – Sensitive skin, mature skin
The Blue Nectar Ayurvedic face wash combines the goodness of honey and neem which is a powerful ingredient in cleaning face and clearing the face off of germs and impurities. Honey neem and aloevera are supposedly antimicrobial and impart cleanliness to the face and keep harmful germs away.
- The formula combines 11 ayurvedic ingredients to provide clear and glowing face from the first wash
- Honey helps in retaining the youthfulness in the skin and prevents wrinkles and damage
- Neem and aloe vera cleans and purifies the skin as well as keep the skin moisturised
- Active enzymes keep the skin nourished and cleans the excess dirt and oil rigorously
- Honey helps in keeping the skin soft and aloe vera helps in keeping it soft and supple.
- Comes in a pump bottle which is easy to carry
- Not a very well known brand
15. Dermafique Acne Avert Cleansing Face Wash
Category – Normal to oily skin, acne prone
Dermafique is a dermatological brand unlike the rest of the cosmetic or herbal/ayurvedic brands. This product is formulated by dermatologists to effectively counter the acne and skin issues for those who have oily or combination. The Dermafique face wash also comes with a toner and face cream that helps in nourishing the skin with its effect as a complete skin routine.
- The brand claims that it is a ‘bo-intel system that helps break the biofilms created by germs that attack the skin and cause acnes
- It is a mousse texture that spreads and cleans evenly and feels refreshing and mild.
- The aim of the face wash is to create a healthy routine together with its other products to cleanse, balance and hydrate the skin.
- Comes in a convenient pump format and has a light and creamy mousse texture which feels great to apply to the skin
- A dermatologist recommended and tested brand that certifies acne prevention and control with regular usage of this product
- Clears and unclogs pores, washes off dirt and dead cell build up to reveal healthy skin
- Some users claimed that they did not find much result from the product
16. Muuchstac Men’s Ocean Face Wash for Acne
Category – Men specific, facial hair cleaning
The Muuchstac Men’s Ocean Face wash is a men specific product and Their vision is to maintain the rustic look of men in addition to the enhancement of given features. Made with chamomile, liquorice and glycerine extracts, this face wash is an all-rounder in cleaning and grooming the face for men.
- Contains powerful ingredients such as chamomile extracts, glycerine and liquorice extracts
- Chamomile is natural antioxidant that reduces pores, and unclogs them, cools down the irritation and redness on the skin
- Glycerine acts as a natural moisturiser and prevents skin from drying
- A Deep cleansing formula with active ingredients to accentuate the clear and glowing skin
- Comes in a tube attached with a pump on top and is very easy to travel with
- Long lasting and intense fresh scent with a cooling menthol flavour which is exciting and rejuvenating
- Some users claimed that it made the skin dry
17. Organic Harvest Premium Face Wash
Category – Oily skin, combination skin
Organic Harvest is yet another skincare product manufactured in India based on organic ingredients and is one of the successful brands in the market currently. This brand has many kin care and body care products ranging from everything for the face, body, hair and makeup as well. It is a very popular brand and their premium face wash is also a renowned product in the market
- This formula is a 3-in-1 product – it cleans scrubs and exfoliates the skin with tiny beads in the creamy formula
- Contains Pure Ribose that help in restoring new skin cells and help with a clear looking skin
- The formula scrubs away excess oil, dirt and dead skin build up from the face and gives a fresh new skin with thorough exfoliation
- A 100% pure organic brand that is certified by ECOCERT for using plant-derived substances and compounds
- A easy to use tube format and a gentle formulation that helps in thoroughly cleaning your face and reveal younger and glowing skin
- A fresh green formula that does the job of 3 different products – as a face wash, a cleansing scrub and an exfoliant.
- Not for regular usage, should only be used 2 to 3 times a week
18. Plum Green Tea Pore Cleansing Face Wash
Category – Oily skin, combination skin
Plum has a wide range of skin care solutions and in which many have emerged as winners. Plum is a rather new entrant in the market of skin care but has swooped the audience with its miraculous products. The Plum Green Tea Pore Cleansing Face Wash is specifically made for acne-prone and oily skin type and is one of the best face washes for men and women alike out there.
- Rich in Green tea extracts which ahs high antioxidants making it great to refresh the skin
- Enriched with glycolic acid which is excellent for skin rejuvenation
- Green tea helps in countering acne causing germs and cleans the skin thoroughly
- A very squeaky clean formula that lathers mildly and cleanses the face thoroughly removing excess oils and dirt from the face
- Comes in a recyclable bottle with a press-pump and has a very ergonomic design making it easy to travel with
- Plum is a vegan, cruelty free brand that has no SLS, Parabens and artificial chemicals to their products.
- Suited only for oily and combination skin
19. Mamaearth Vit C and Turmeric Face Wash
Category – Skin lightening, Oily skin, acne prone
Mamaearth is an Indian organic brand with a growing reputation in the skincare market. The brand is endorsed by many celebrities and claims to have a very good effect when used religiously. The Mamaearth products are completely organic and have no added chemicals or harmful toxins. Their Vit C and turmeric face wash are one of the best selling products in their skincare range.
- Vitamin C, Cucumber, Aloe Vera and turmeric are the key ingredients in this face wash formula with each one having its own benefit on the skin
- This face wash acts as an excellent Cleansing agent by exfoliating the pores and excess oil with high foaming textures which can be very effective
- Turmeric gives a pleasant glow to the skin and helps in lightening the complexion
- Contains powerhouse ingredients like turmeric, Vitamin C, Aloe Vera and cucumber
- Comes with a brush that helps exfoliate the skin and clears dead skin and debris from the face
- A dermatologically tested product which is all organic, SLS, Paraben and Toxins free
- Users claimed that it does not help in lightening the skin tone whatsoever
20. Biotique Bio Neem Purifying Face Wash
Category – Normal to oily skin, acne prone
Manufactured by Bio Veda Action Research Company, The Biotique products have garnered a very high reputation in the Indian Skincare market. Biotique has a wide ocean of organic skin and bodycare products some of which are striking genius and have hot bestsellers. The Bio Neem Purifying Face wash is one of the,
- Comes in neem and glycerin base formula that fights off skin infections and pimple causing germs
- Bio neem is organically sourced neem leaf extract which is very effective in deep cleansing the skin and for an antibacterial shield for the skin
- The glycerin helps in hydrating the face and helps seal back the moisture that is lost during the face wash
- A mild organic soap base with the goodness of neem leaf extracts and glycerin
- Comes in a handy pump bottle which is easy to refill and travel with
- Has a very thorough cleansing effect and leaves the skin feeling refreshed and duper clean.
- Might strip away natural moisture and make skin feel dry
These are the best face wash in India. This list includes an overview of the best face wash for every single category out there- dry skin, oily skin, sensitive skin, combination, acne prone skin and for specific use of men or women. This guide can help you in choosing the best product in the market without having to worry about the reviews and ratings each product has online. We have carefully chosen only the ones that have the best ratings and the ones that customers vouch for.
Face washes are pivotal for face hygiene and effective maintenance of the facial skin. The skin around the face, ears and neck is susceptible to debris of smoke, dirt and impurities when you step out and is mor=st vulnerable when you come in contact with direct sunlight. Always thoroughly clean the skin around these areas to avoid any build-up of oil and dirt that can cause clogging of pores and cause acne and other skin ailments. Remember to follow this up with a soothing moisturiser so that you can lock the hydration back into the skin after a thorough face wash.
Face Wash: FAQs
We have classified judging parameters for the best face washes into 5 categories. These categories help in determining the different points to consider before buying a lip balm.
Chemical Free Composition
This refers to the kind of materials used, is it chemical or organic, natural or synthetic, all of these things are taken into account. This is to make sure that the face wash is free of harmful chemicals irrespective of being cosmetic or organic.
Skin Safety is important to test because the skin on the face is very sensitive and thinner than the rest of the skin elsewhere, it needs double the protection and care. Face washes need to be allergy and skin safety tested before it reaches the hands of the user.
Value for money
However good the face wash is, it needs to fit into the bracket of either of our budget categories. It is important that it gives the best value for money in that category.
This generally speaks of the claims and promises made by the brand such as how well the face wash cleanses, moisturizes, heals, lightens the tone or provides glowing skin etc.
This is a collaborative report of all the reviews we found on the internet for that particular product so that you don’t need to go browsing the internet for the same.
It is a cumulative score of all the said ratings along with the opinion of the editor.