Choosing the best bathing soap was never a task that needed a lot of research. But with all the fancy advertisements about the low TFM and “100% herbal product” quotes, now we are forced to know more about what we need to look for in soap before buying one.
Picking the best soaps should not be based on the fair, spotless model on the ads, colorful packaging or the so-called international perfumes added in it.
This article will explain every single detail about how soaps are made, what are all the ingredients added to it, and most of all “the hidden secrets” which as a consumer everyone needs to know.
Best Soaps in India for All Skin Concerns | All Categories
Top 20 Best Soaps in India | Product Reviews
1. Khadi Essentials Vitamin C Rich Fruity Soap
Best Overall Soap
- This product by Khadi does not contain any hazardous chemicals like SLS, parabens or sulphate.
- It is dermatologically tested. But not on animals.
- It is unisex. It helps rejuvenate dull, pigmented, and uneven skin tone.
- Shea butter and kokum are one of the main ingredients that help in protecting the skin from UV rays.
2. Kaumudi Hydrating Silk Soap with Gulabjal
- Authentic Ayurvedic methods and natural ingredients are used in these freshly prepared soaps.
- Pure cow ghee mixed with water is then churned with hands and strained with a fine muslin cloth to get the finest quality of ghee. These fine ghee molecules are easier for the skin to absorb.
- Infused with 100% pure silk.
3. Kama Ayurveda Red Sandalwood Ayurvedic Soap
Best Premium Soap
- Sandal based soap which has red sandalwood, one of the rarest of its kind
- This soap can be used on your face and your body.
- This soap is made with a blend of beeswax and organic cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil.
- It helps treat any skin irregularities
4. Khadi Sandalwood Soap
- This product makes use of 100% ayurvedic formations made from herbal ingredients and extracts.
- Contains the richness of sandalwood which is famous for its antibacterial properties.
- Dermatologically tested products that are cruelty-free.
- Certified by the top organizations including WHO and Ayush.
5. Roots and Herbs Cold Process Gourmet Cleansing Bar
- Roots and Herbs Gourmet cleansing bar is made with natural oils and butters formulated with volcanic lava clay
- This soap is extremely gentle on skin making it suitable for daily use.
- Ancient cold processing method is used in the making of this soap in order to preserve all the natural goodness.
- It has been produced the old fashioned way i.e. without removing the naturally occurring glycerine.
- They are usually made in small batches to ensure the highest level of quality
6. Forest Essentials Sandalwood and Turmeric Luxury Sugar Soap
- These are 100% natural and handmade soaps created with cold processing methods.
- It is made with raw unprocessed Cane Sugar, which helps in retaining the moisture in the skin.
- Pure sandalwood oil and wild turmeric used in this soap is known for its therapeutic qualities.
7. Biotique Revitalizing Body Soap (Bio Orange Peel)
- Hybrid plants and plant extracts have been used to produce this high-quality product
- It has 100% herbal ingredients and contains no chemicals
- This revitalizing soap is a blend of pure orange oil, orange zest, musk root, walnut, margosa, turmeric and soap nut.
- It is a dark orange soap that is shaped like an elongated cylinder.
- The packaging of this soap is compact and attractive.
8. Forest Essentials (Bitter orange and cinnamon luxury sugar soap)
- Soaps are made with hand-picked ingredients chosen by a team of experts.
- The product is completely made in India.
- Many variants of soaps are available with various ingredients.
9. Organzo Luxury Bathing Soap with Rose & Jojoba
- This organic soap is made suitable for all kinds of skin
- Helps remove excess dirt, excess oil and keeps the skin young looking
- The organic ingredients like jojoba oil, rose extracts, kokum butter & almond oil helps skin stay moisturised, treats sun tan, reduces stubborn acne and other skin related problems
10. Mirah Belle Coconut Milk, Rose-Hip
- This soap is 100% vegan, no animal cruelty.
- It is made with Palmarosa essential oil which is known for its benefits like anti-aging properties, antibacterial and antiviral agents.
- Coconut Milk helps in retaining the moisture in the skin.
- This soap helps in reducing wrinkles on the skin.
11. The Body Shop Strawberry Bar Soap
- This is a fruit based soap.
- It consists of glycerin and palm oil.
- It is infused with vitamin c and healthy fatty acids.
12. Curie Rose water soap with glycerine
- Curie rose water soaps are for men and women.
- It is made with pure Rosewater which helps in maintaining the pH levels in the skin.
- Helps in removing excess oil and dirt on the skin and clears clogged pores.
13. Urvija Neem & Basil Cleanser
Best Value Soap
- Both Neem and basil helps in killing the germs on the skin.
- This handmade soap is suitable for all types of skin.
- Natural ingredients like neem leaf extracts, Basil extract, etc., helps in removing odor, pimples, and rashes.
- The variety of oils used here helps relax the stressed muscles.
14. Bombay Shaving Company Activated Bamboo Charcoal Soap
- This soap is made especially for people who need gentle cleansing
- The soap is free of harmful chemicals such as SLS and parabens
- Activated Charcoal, Glycerin and Cocoa Butter are the main ingredients
15. Ancient Living Multani Mitti
- The original ingredient in these products helps in providing the necessary vitamins required for the skin.
- Turmeric which is rich in Vitamin E, gives the skin a luminous glow, eliminates impurities, removes dead cells etc
- Multani Matti is highly valued for its natural cleansing properties. It gives the skin a smooth, refreshed texture.
- Tulasi on the other hand is known for its richness in Vitamin C and antioxidants. This soothes inflammation, and helps get a brighter complexion
16. Soul Flower Cool Aloe Vera Soap
- Handmade soap brand, completely vegan and cruelty free
- Has plenty of natural oil and ingredients to choose from
- Made from the extracts of fresh aloe vera that is cured naturally for hydrated skin
17. Ancient Living Daily Bath needs (Handmade soaps)
- Chemical free natural handmade soap – vegan brand
- Uses Tulasi extracts as main ingredients which heals and protects skin
- Comes in 3 variants all made out of organic materials
18. Speaking Tree – Tea Tree Handmade Soap
- This soap treats acne-related issues without causing dryness, burning sensation or inflammation on the skin.
- It helps the skin to retain its natural oil balance.
- Also good in treating itching, rashes, and blisters.
- It is free of chemicals, foaming agents , synthetic fragrance, alcohol, preservatives and dye.
19. Organic Harvest Lavender Soap
- Organic Harvest is a wonderful natural brand with good reputation in the market
- The Lavender Soap is made from organic lavender essential oils and glycerin
- Helps is fighting dry skin and makes skin soft and supple and leaves a pleasing aroma
20. Ustraa Deo Soap For Men with Activated Charcoal
- A devoted soap for men to fight acne and dull skin
- Ustraa has a range of men specific body care and the charcoal soap is the most notable of all
- Contains Activated Charcoal that clears dirt and exfoliates the skin
What is Soap?
Soap is the mixture of Oils like coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil or Tallow. Tallow is nothing but the rendered fat from cows and goats. However, fat rendered from the cow meat is the most commonly available triglyceride for manufacturing soaps. These mixtures are then combined with a base.
What is a soap base?
A classic soap base is a combination of distilled water, glycerine, and alkali. Glycerine helps in nourishing and moistening the skin.
An alkali contains soluble salts like sodium or potassium. While Sodium hydroxide is used to make bar/hard soaps, Potassium Hydroxide is used for making liquid soaps and shaving creams.
How to choose the right Soap?
Most of the soaps available in the market are loaded with toxic products that are either not mentioned on the package or they are written in fancy names that a common man cannot understand.
The most common toxins that are in disguise are strong alcohol, petroleum products, harmful detergents, pesticides etc. These products may cause skin related problems when used on a longer run, and over a period of time they tend to penetrate through the pores and enter the bloodstream as well.
Most commonly used hazardous chemicals in Bathing Soaps
- Cosmetic Colour: Synthetic colours like Pigments, FD&C are all lab made colorants. These are used widely in soaps because these are cost effective when compared to natural colours.
- Fragrance: The scent that is added to the soaps has more than 150 chemicals hidden in it. The fragrance enters the bloodstream through the pores on the skin and causes health risks like allergies, cancer, organ toxicity etc.
- PEG-n (where n is a number. Higher the n, worse the soap is): Peg – n like PEG-6, PEG-8, PEG-40 etc are the most common elements added in bathing soaps. These are highly dangerous as they may cause breast cancer; also it’s found that they are Toxic for Kidney and skin.
- Trideceth – 10 : This is found widely in major cosmetic and personal care products. Similar to the PEG, Trideceth – 10 penetrates through the skin as well. However, the cosmetic database categorized this as a low hazard ingredient. On the other hand, Environmental Canada Domestic Substance List has marked Trideceth – 10 as “Classified as expected to be toxic or harmful”.
- BHT: short for butylated hydroxytoluene is basically a preservative. It has shown Kidney, Thyroid and liver problems in mice, when tested for a long term. BHT has also shown evidence of mimicking estrogens at heavy doses which in turn resulted in reproductive effects.
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone: MCI in short is used for preventing bacterial growth in cosmetic products like Mascara, sunscreen, baby lotions & shampoos etc; and in soaps too (especially in liquid soaps). MCI may cause membrane irritation, chemical burns, allergies etc.
While these are categorized as some of the harmful ingredients, below is the list of chemicals that can be considered harmless.
- Lauric acid
- Acetic acid
- Sodium hydroxide
- Sodium Chloride
- Titanium Dioxide
- Zinc Gluconate
- Sodium Palmate
- Magnesium Silicate
Also, some chemicals are considered Neutral such as;
- Zinc Oxide
- Sodium C14-18
- Sodium Stearate
- Mexile Cinnamon
We understand how challenging it would be to keep all these in mind before choosing the right soap for you and your family. So, in order to reduce your burden, we have researched and listed the best bathing soaps available in the market.
These are the Top 10 best soaps in India that use no harmful chemicals and are mostly natural with naturally occurring extracts and oils. These soaps can be used confidently by anyone regardless of age or health issues. Make sure you do a patch test to confirm if any natural ingredient or oil does not suit your skin. This can be done by applying the soap in a small area of your forearm and letting it stay for a little while and washing off. If you do not find any allergic symptoms in the next couple of hours, it is safe to be used. Why this is to be done is because of the fact that these soaps are organic and are made by natural ingredients and some people may have some allergies linked to any of these key ingredients.