There’s a lot that goes into choosing a soap for yourself. You can’t just walk into a store and pick the first soap you see. You have to check whether the soap will match your skin and its needs. Soaps can be too drying, can make your skin feel oily, can cause rashes, etc,.
But let’s be real. No one buys anything from stores anymore, and when you buy stuff online, no one tells you the actual truth. I mean, people even fake user reviews on e-commerce sites. But the least you can do is go through the ingredient list at least and google the fancy ones that you don’t know. So we have made your job much easier by bringing you a list of the top 20 best soaps in India.
So, take your time and read through this article. And don’t worry, any questions you might have will be answered at the end of this article in the FAQ section. Without further ado, here are the top 20 soaps in India right now!
Critik’s Other Best Soap Articles
List of Best Bathing Soaps
1. Godrej Cinthol Original Soap
India together as a country has given Cinthol this spot on our list. With its many properties like fresh smell, longevity and value for money, Cinthol has secured this coveted throne for itself.
- This product is a Grade 1 soap with high TFM ratings
- This soap by Godrej is suggested by doctors for 95% of skin problems
- It has 0% harmful ingredients and is safe to use
- Deodorized fragrance lasts longer than most soaps
2. Himalaya Herbals Neem & Turmeric Soap
The brand ‘Himalaya’ has become synonymous with natural skin care products in India. People have grown to love their products for their quality and affordability. Right from Ashwagandha pills to baby products, Himalaya is everywhere.
- The neem oil present in this product removes dry skin and soothes itchiness
- The turmeric extract in this revitalises the skin
- Suitable for both men and women who have any skin type
3. Hamam Neem Tulsi & Aloe Vera Soap
No list of soaps can be complete without Hamam. That too, definitely in the top 5 positions. Hamam has been used in all our families, admit it. The mere fragrance reminds us of getting ready for school and fearing class tests. Haha good times.
- It contains 100% pure neem oil, along with tulsi and aloe vera
- The product is gentle on the skin but is harsh on impurities
- It purifies skin and protects it from harm caused by pollution and dust
4. Mysore Sandal Soap
This soap in those days was believed to be the real deal. It is made from pure sandalwood and natural vegetable oils and other ingredients. The sandalwood is so pure that even Mr. Veerapan did not have access to this type of sandalwood 😛 The fragrance will linger on your body for a good 4-6 hours.
- This soap has proven to benefit the skin in the long run.
- The goodness of the natural ingredients in this soap will also prevent skin cancer.
- Made with pure sandalwood oil.
- Helps in enhancing beauty.
5. Kama Ayurveda Red Sandalwood Ayurvedic Soap
The next soap on our list is also a sandal based one that has recently won our hearts. Kama Ayurveda brought together age-old ayurvedic substances that our moms and grandmoms begged us to use and put them together to make great quality products at unaffordable prices 🙁
- It is made with pure red sandalwood oil.
- This soap can be used on your face and your body.
- This soap is made with a blend of beeswax and organic cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil.
- It helps treat any skin irregularities.
6. Khadi Sandalwood Soap
Well, seems like it’s a day to celebrate sandalwood. Remember how your mom and grandmom used to take a sandalwood stick and rub it on this stone to get your sandalwood paste? Since we modernistas don’t have time for all that, we have this soap with the goodness of sandalwood that we can use on our body.
- This product makes use of 100% ayurvedic formations made from herbal ingredients and extracts.
- Contains the richness of sandalwood which is famous for its antibacterial properties.
- Dermatologically tested products that are cruelty-free.
- Certified by the top organisations including WHO and Ayush.
7. Biotique Revitalizing Body Soap (Bio Orange Peel)
Biotique also, like Himalaya has created its own name in natural skin care products. So much so that even doctors recommend biotique products. This soap is formulated with basil, parsley and coconut oil. All ingredients required to help achieve and maintain great skin.
- Hybrid plants and plant extracts have been used to produce this high-quality product
- It has 100% herbal ingredients and contains no chemicals
- This revitalizing soap is a blend of pure orange oil, orange zest, musk root, walnut, margosa, turmeric and soap nut.
- It is a dark orange soap that is shaped like an elongated cylinder.
- The packaging of this soap is compact and attractive.
8. Pears Soft & Fresh Bathing Bar
I’m sure you all remember looking through the translucent blue/brown bar of Pears soap. Pears came out with a revolutionary design for its soaps that still stands out. Not only that, their products contain pure glycerin that helps lock in the moisture of the skin.
- In this soap, 98% pure glycerin and mint extracts that provide instant freshness
- Each bar is finished by hand and is manually checked
- It is a very refreshing bar to use daily
- It is a sea-blue coloured transparent soap that is packed really well
9. Nivea Creme Care
Nivea has always been the fancy brand that it is. A step above the rest, looking down on us kids. Their creamy white soaps are a huge hit with the masses due to its high cleansing properties that don’t dry out the skin. And nivea soaps can be used by everyone in your family.
- This soap by Nivea has a TFM percentage of over 75% indicating its good cleansing efficacy.
- It has a pleasant mild fragrance and is enriched with almond oil.
- The new Hydra IQ technology in this soap keeps the skin soft at all times.
- It is best suited for dry skin as it works as an excellent moisturiser.
- It is a unisex soap that has two variants: soft and creme.
10. Ayush Purifying Turmeric Soap
A relatively new brand by Lever, Ayush came out with a host of skin and hair care products that became an instant people’s favorite. This turmeric soap has antiseptic properties and also helps your skin glow radiantly and prevents pimples and reduces blemishes.
- This product by Lever Ayush is formulated with Turmeric and Nalpamaradi Tailam
- Nalpamaradi Tailam in this soap is a classical oil formulated with Amla, Peepal and Vetiver, and the Turmeric is famous for
- its antiseptic and healing properties.
- It is known to treat skin infection as well as give clear & glowing skin.
11. Forest Essentials (Bitter orange and cinnamon luxury sugar soap)
Forest essentials makes great quality cruelty-free products with natural ingredients. Ingredients that you cannot find that easily in your neighbourhood forests, one might add. These handmade soaps are ideal for your skin. They have a variety of soaps made with different ingredients aimed at addressing different skin concerns. But they all guarantee great skin and a radiant glow.
- Soaps are made with hand-picked ingredients chosen by a team of experts.
- The product is completely made in India.
- Many variants of soaps are available with various ingredients.
12. Lux Soft Touch (French Rose and Almond oil)
After years of gaping at Aishwarya Rai and Kareena Kapoor looking dashing after using Lux, it is our turn now. Made with the softest of rose petals for the softest of skin, Lux is definitely a soap that all women must try at least once in their lifetime.
- It is infused with breakthrough flowery oil.
- Lux is very gentle on your skin.
- It is made with moisturising SilkEssence and French Roses.
- The top note contains red fruits and bergamot. The heart note contains rose, white rose and floral notes. Musk, amber and
- vanilla form the base notes.
13. Yardley Lavender Soap
The Yardley family paid King Charles I for permission to manufacture soap in London in the 17th century. And since then Yardley has always had this thing about it that makes it ooze of English Royalty. Be it their talcum powders, or their soaps or scents, there has been this oomph factor. Yardley is the brand that our grandparents loved and considered fancy. And guess what? It still is.
- This is a triple-milled luxury soap.
- These soaps are hard and last long.
- It has a classic single note scent.
- It is made with natural fresh flowers.
14. Amway Persona Soap
Gone are the days when only members of Amway could use their great products. These products come with a concession in price for Amway members but are now also available to outsiders who do not want to pay for Amway membership. It is great that Amway can now share their great products with consumers directly.
- One of Amway’s signature products.
- The soap’s TFM is 76.
- It has a loyal fan following who do not use any other soap.
15. The Body Shop Strawberry Bar Soap
While Body Shop is a drugstore brand in the USA, it is an elite brand in India and is widely appreciated. Many women collect Body Shop products since they have many ranges and each range has all skincare products so that each woman can create their own skincare regimen based on their skin issues.
- This is a fruit based soap.
- It consists of glycerin and palm oil.
- It is infused with vitamin c and healthy fatty acids.
16. Avon Naturals Exfoliating Soap
This is not your regular bar of soap. This Avon soap is infused with granules on the surface that make it seem like a brown pumice stone. It does what a pumice stone does while cleansing your skin. It completely removes dead skin cells and leaves skin feeling radiant.
- It is infused with walnut shell powder.
- Even though it has a scrub-like surface, it is not harsh on your skin.
- It has a unique fragrance that prevails for a long time.
- It helps to remove dead skin cells.
17. Parasoft Aloevera Soap
Even though this brand is not as popular as others, people who have used Parasoft soap once, keep coming back to it. It is a great soap with a loyal brand following. A little more brand awareness would push this soap to heights of Hamam and Himalaya.
- It is a mild soap (The brand claims it is so mild that you can use it on your baby).
- This is a green transparent soap.
- This soap consists of glycerin, vitamin E, aloe vera, jojoba oil and olive oil.
18. Soulflower Handmade Milk and Chocolate Soap
This soap is without doubt the first choice for chocolate-lovers like me. Just the name “chocolate” on the package was enough for me to try this one. But I was a little skeptical since I had not heard of this brand.
- This soap is 100% organic.
- It’s ingredients include cocoa powder and real dark chocolate. Yum yum
- The instructions recommend cutting the soap into pieces to make it last longer.
- The soap feels softer and slightly oily when compared to other soaps (could be because of the cocoa butter).
19. Fiama Blackcurrant & Bearberry Gel Bar
In this bright and fun looking packaging Fiama comes out with a Blackcurrant and Bearberry flavoured soap. The mere choice of fruits is enough to make us wanna try this one. They also have a shower gel variant in the same flavour.
- This product by Fiam has been created using a revolutionary liquid freezing technology
- An exotic bar which combines the extracts of blackcurrant & bearberry.
- It is dermatologically tested.
- Leaves the skin clean, smooth and refreshed.
20. Liril Lemon & Tea Tree Oil Soap
We have all seen and remember the liril ad. If you haven’t, watch it on youtube now. Trust me, you won’t regret it. This is a great cleansing bar soap infused with the goodness of tea tree oil and lemon.
- This soap by Liril contains active ingredients like lemon extracts and tea tree oil
- It gives you a long-lasting fragrance and keeps the skin fresh
- With the use of this soap, the skin retains natural moisture and maintains oils balance
- It removes germs and grime from the skin
- The soap is a yellowish coloured bar which is packaged attractively.
Critik’s Best Soap for Women
The best soap for women is from Himalaya. It is their Neem and Turmeric soap. As women we are extremely concerned about our skin and want something that is natural and free of harmful chemicals. So, keeping all this in mind, Critik chooses Himalaya: Neem and Turmeric as the Best Soap for Women.
Critik’s Best Soap for Men
We have chosen this Brick soap from Beardo as the best soap for men. This is because this soap is made from activated charcoal that removes dirt and sebum that blocks the pores on men’s skin. It also helps clean the skin beneath a beard easily. This does not leave the skin feeling drying. So Critik’s best soap for men award goes to Activated Charcoal Brick Soap from Beardo.
Critik’s Best Whitening Soap
Critik indeed has a soft corner for Himalaya products since their brand is known for creating quality products with natural ingredients. So after having tried their Almond & Rose soap, we simply had to give them the best whitening soap award. This soap leaves your skin feeling soft and supple and also visibly fairer after every use. What else could we ask for?
Critik’s Best Soap for your Face
While most of us have made the switch from soaps to face washes, some of us are still adamantly stuck to soaps and this is why brands continue making soaps with mild formulas for your face. And what better brand than Hamam do we trust? I’m sure all of us remember various Hamam advertisements from our childhood. Hamam is one brand that has consistently delivered their promises and that is why Hamam Neem, Tulsi and Aloe Vera is first on our list of best soaps for your face. This soap makes you feel super clean and you can use it for your whole body as well. It leaves you feeling sparkling clean and we at Critik approve!
Critik’s Best Anti-bacterial and Anti-Fungal Soap
When we started taking a look at medicinal soaps, we realised that it required quite a bit of research as medicinal soaps address different customer requirements. But based on its anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, we have chosen Tetmosol Monosulfiram Medicinal Soap to be the best. It is a very effective anti-parasitic soap. This can also be used on your scalp and to treat any redness or skin infections. So this is our best antibacterial and anti-fungal soap.
Critik’s Best Soap for Dry Skin
Many of us suffer from dry skin which further causes itching and skin irritation. It also makes our skin very rough. So we at Critik looked at soaps that will address this issue without making the skin feel too oily as this would become a hindrance for people with oily skin. Critik found Dove’s Cream Beauty Bathing Bar to be the perfect solution to our dry skin problems. Dove is a brand that is recommended by most dermatologists because their products are very mild and so Dove always has a spot on our list of best soaps for dry skin.
Critik’s Best Summer Soaps
If the title confuses you, we mean soaps that help cool your body and beat the rampant summer heat. So this was our only criteria, we chose soaps that have cooling properties and found Cinthol’s Cool Menthol Soap to be the best. This is because this soap leaves you feeling fresh and smelling pleasant. This is also a deodorant soap that helps you battle the heat. So Critik chooses Cinthol’s Menthol Soap to be the best soap for summer.
Critik’s Best Natural Soap
Khadi is known all over the country for their natural soaps with organic ingredients. This aloe vera soap is one of their best natural soaps. This will get rid of any skin irregularities that you may have and can also be used on your face. This is also a cruelty-free soap. So this is Critik approved!
Critik’s Best Neem Soap
As I already said, Hamam is one of the major players in the soap industry. Their soaps contain pure neem oil and it purifies the skin and shields it from pollution. So this Hamam soap with intoxicating neem fragrance is Critik’s best neem soap.
How to choose the right soap for you?
There are many factors that you should consider before you buy soap. But you may feel like soap is just soap and therefore does not need any buying guide.
However, these days there are so many brands that produce so many soaps that address so many concerns that we as consumers don’t know what we need.
Do we really need an all-natural soap? Or are soaps with good chemicals not harmful? Or should a soap be completely chemical free? Is it possible to make a chemical free soap? How would it lather?
There are many brands that claim to manufacture soaps that are sulphate free, paraben free etc. But are they really good for you?
It is always better to rely on word of mouth when it comes to skin care products. You don’t have to listen to the sales rep. Listen to your friends. Just because a soap claims to be made of natural ingredients and is expensive does not mean that it is good. It has to suit your skin. No one is gonna perform tests on your skin to see what suits you.
So listen to your friend/sister/brother/mom and choose a soap that you feel will help with your skin issues. Then, before using it on your whole body, do a patch test on your elbow or calf and see if you develop any reactions. If you don’t you can continue using the soap.
And remember, a soap is meant to clean your body. Nothing else. All other claims that brands make are mostly tomfoolery. So don’t splurge extravagantly on a soap. Cos, soap is soap.