Have you ever seen a snake shed its skin? It does a thorough and admirable job at it, but us humans, not so much. To prevent clogged pores and dry flaky skin, we are advised to do a process called exfoliation which swiftly removes all the dead cells from our body, this is where sugar scrubs come to play.
After all the research I did for this, I was sure all of us needed a sugar scrub for our body to get rid of all the dead skin cells. We go to such extents to take care of our face; it is time we give our neglected body the love and respect it deserves.
Here, I bring to you guys the best and brightest of sugar scrubs out there, that is exclusively used for the body and assures you a soft, supple, healthy and nourished skin.
Top 10 Best Sugar Scrubs For The Body
1. Giovanni Sugar Scrub, Hot Chocolate
On a cold winter day, when you want to curl up into a burrito and read a book, the one thing that you are guaranteed to crave, is a hot chocolate. Just the smell of it will give you warm and cosy feelings in your heart, this scrub from Giovanni, is hot chocolate flavoured and for that alone, I believe you should give it a try. The decadent, rich scent of the scrub is going to leave you drooling over yourself. The scrub contains an exclusive Giovanni Eco chic technology that will give you a deluxe skin, hydrated and smoothened with essential oils. The sugar in the product is gentle and will buff up your skin leaving it to look polished.
- The classy looking jar contains 260 gram of the product and the scrub feels gentle under the fingers.
- The scrub is formulated with organic ingredients including aloe vera, shea butter, safflower, almond, macadamia, cocoa extracts. Are you drooling imagining the scent yet?
- The scrub is also enriched with vitamin E extracts and to top it off, it is a cruelty free brand as well.
- Leaves you with a soft, smooth, decadent smelling skin
- The scrub is so good that after using the same the same you might not even need to apply any lotion
- The scrub gives you deep hydration because of all the essential oils present in them
- The product is absorbed quickly into the body, as it exfoliates, it feels a little warm
- The product is vegan friendly, cruelty free, sulphate free and paraben free
- The product might get over soon considering its quantity
- The product on application feels a little warm so it is unsuitable for summers
2. Herbivore Botanicals – All Natural Coco Rose Body Polish/ Sugar Scrub
Coconut oil is probably one such ingredient that is constantly advertised in your household, especially by your mother. There is no ailment that cannot be cured by some swift use of coconut oil. This sugar scrub from Herbivore has made use of this magic ingredient quite efficiently and is providing us a product that we cannot ignore. If you aren’t too careful, you might end up getting addicted to the product. Imagine sitting in a bathtub filled with coconut milk and rose petals, that is the kind of diviness this scrub offers. The scrub is formulated with virgin coconut oil, rose oil, vit E extracts and shea butter which when combined together gives you a shiny, nourished, exfoliated, smooth, silky and hydrated skin.
- The sturdy looking jar consists of 567 grams of the product
- The key ingredients in the scrub include, virgin coconut oil, floral Bulgarian rose absolute, shea butter, vitamin E extracts and gentle sugar crystals. The product contains absolutely no artificial ingredients, alcohol, fragrances, animal ingredients, artificial colours, preservatives etc
- The product claims to be highly exfoliating and gently moisturising
- The scrub is oil based but it is neither greasy nor oily on application
- Provides a thorough moisturising to the dry skin
- The product is made with all-natural ingredients and without parabens, phthalates and sulphates
- The scrub has a refreshing scent mostly of rose petals and makes you feel like you are in a garden
- The product is easy to apply and is easy to wash off and provides a commendable exfoliation as well
- The price of the product might be on the higher end
- If you are someone with an excessively oily skin then this product might not be the best for you as the formulation is oil based
3. Fresh Brown Sugar Body Polish
Fresh beauty came up with a sugar scrub that is beautifully formulated and is thick, yummy and decadent. It is completely original and all the rich oils in them will give you a long-lasting hydrating and healthy effect. If you are the one wanting a fully equipped and thorough exfoliation then this is the one for you. The scrub has a subtle and refreshing scent which is going to make you an absolute slave to this product. The formula is oil based and will get rid of all your dry patches. The scrub leaves you with a baby smooth skin and the best part is the smoothness lasts for days.
- The jar contains 408 grams of the product.
- The key ingredients in the scrub include Brown sugar, Sweet almond oil, Apricot kernel oil, Jojoba seed oil, Evening Primrose oil, Ginseng root extract, Grapefruit, lemon, orange, bergamot oil
- The sugar crystals in the product are quite large, they are heavier and bigger and size, due to this the sugars often settle down at the end so you have to mix it well before each use
- Provides a brilliant hydrating effect for a solid 24 hours
- The scrub leaves your skin well exfoliated, softened, supple, healthy looking and protects against dryness.
- After use, the skin is so soft and dry patches are removed and you are left with a velvety soft skin
- The product is quite concentrated and designed with rich and essential oils
- The product is fully natural and original and provides an unrivalled treatment for extremely soft skin
- The brown sugar crystals in the scrub are quite rough and hence wouldn’t be the best option for sensitive skin, it can be a little abrasive.
4. Roots & Herbs Ayurvedic Natural Treatment 100% Vegan No Paraben Sugar Body Scrub
When any product states 100% ayurvedic, I am automatically attracted to it, because if they live up the claims I am sure the product is a real winner and this sugar scrub from roots and herbs lives up to its promises making it an amazing addition to our list of top 10 best sugar scrubs for the body. This scrub is 100% vegan and is infused with a natural blend of various potent herbs. The ultra-luxurious, exfoliating scrub is packed with antioxidants that enrich your skin. The coffee beans and tonka beans in the formula help tighten the skin, reducing cellulite, brighten your skin and give it a natural glow. It also has Baobab and argan oil that provides vitamin A, D and E. When all these qualities combine together the results are nothing short of magic.
- The jar comes with 100 grams of the product
- The scrub is formulated with the goodness of coffee beans, tonka bean oil, almond oil and nagarmotha, each of these encompassing within themselves enormous benefits to the skin.
- The scrub claims to rejuvenate and tighten the skin, give it a natural glow and help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
- The product is a bombshell consisting of all-natural ingredients and cold pressed oils
- The serum is purely herbal and helps with deep cleansing of the skin
- It leaves your skin feeling soft, smooth and adds a certain glow to the skin
- The product is free from paraben, silicon, mineral oil, artificial fragrance and colour etc
- Cold pressed oils save all the nutrients from the actual product which means that this product is concentrated and intense thereby providing you the best results.
- The quantity is only 100 grams and hence the price might seem a little steep.
- If you aren’t someone who like herb-y smells, the fragrance might not please your olfactory senses much
5. Soap & Glory Sugar Crush Body Scrub
This sugar scrub from soap and glory makes into our top 10 best sugar scrubs list for the excellent and long-lasting results they deliver. The scrub is formulated with crushed brown sugar with a fruity lime fragrance that blends well with all the essential oil present in it. One of the best things about the product is that it works wonders on dry, flaky and sensitive skin, it does a good job at not breaking out the skin or causing irritation. As I type this, I have this picture in my head which is a good long hot bath with this citrusy goodness followed by some Netflix and pizza, if this doesn’t say relaxing, I don’t know what does.
- The tub consists of 460 grams of the product, which is considerably a good quantity
- The product is infused with a blend of smashed brown sugar, sweet lime, almond oil and macadamia grains, and is formulated without parabens, sulphates and phthalates
- The scrub leaves your skin feeling ultra-smooth and soft for a long time, the product works well on sensitive skin
- The product works really well in dry and flaky patches like the elbow, knees etc
- The scrub is fine and grainy and is easy to work on the skin and the quantity is really good
- If you are a fan of fragrances, the rich and sweet citrus scent from this one will you feel like you are in an expensive bar
- Few reviews suggested that the product made their skin feel softer for a longer period of time
- The product delivers a relaxing, massage like effect and is best to use when you are looking for a little pick-up
- The packaging is a jar with a lid which isn’t much hygienic as it runs the risk of shower gel getting into the product as well as dipping of fingers into the product
- User reviews suggest that some find the scent a little too overpowering for their taste
6. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Scrub Coconut Lime
The brand tree hut comes with a whole bunch of sugar scrubs exclusively formulated for your body. You can go through the selection of flavours they have and choose the one that attracts you the most, for me, being a tropical gal, the coconut lime flavour attracted me the most. The scrub is infused with certified organic Shea butter, Coconut and Lime extracts and an array of natural oils. The fragrance alone can be extremely relaxing and makes you feel like you are on a beach, all that will be missing will be a big glass of pina colada. The sugar grains in the scrub will buff away all the dead cells, leaving your skin soft and smooth and polished.
- The tub comes with 156 grams of the product
- The scrub is formulated with certified organic ingredients, including coconut and lime extracts, shea butter and an array of natural oils, including Evening Primrose, Safflower Seed, sweet Almond, Avocado, Macadamia Seed and Orange oil
- The sugar grains and ground coconut shells work together for exfoliation, washed away dead and damaged skin, leaving you with a smooth, polished, radiant skin
- The scrub is formulated with all-natural ingredients.
- It leaves your skin feeling soft, smooth and nourished, it helps even out stretch marks as well
- The product provides the skin with decent hydration and does not dry out the skin immediately after use
- The fragrance and feel of the scrub make you feel like you are getting a relaxing spa treatment
- For the scrub containing natural ingredients, the product is quite affordable
- The product comes in big jar and a cap, it isn’t much hygienic given that you have to dip your fingers in the product every time you have to use it
- Sometime after using the sugar scrub, it might make your skin a little dry, it would be better to keep your moisturizer ready
7. Bath & Body Works Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Foaming Sugar Scrub
Bath and body works are another brand that produces the best body scrubs in the market, hence it was inevitable that they made it to our list. The scrub is designed beautifully with an oil base and non-soluble sugar crystals, the sugar crystals are well polished thereby less abrasion and gentle on the skin. The fragrance of the scrub is a mix of flowery and fruity note and is not too overpowering and just the right amount. Another beautiful aspect of the product is after use, it leaves your state in a state of neither dry nor too hydrated. The scrub is going to get you rid of all the dead skin and toxins and leave you with a soft, smooth and juicy skin.
- The tube contains 450 grams of the product
- The scrub is formulated with Asian Pear, Fuji Apple, Ume Plum, Japanese Cherry Blossom, Butterfly Lily, Kyoto Rose, Mimosa Petals, Vanilla Rice, Imperial Amber, Silk Musk, Cinnamon Incense, Himalayan Cedarwood, Creamy Sandalwood. There is also an oh-so-fresh blend of Japanese cherry blossoms, crisp pears, mimosa petals & sweet sandalwood
- The product contains gentle soluble particles to remove dead cells and impurities, it gently exfoliates the skin getting rid of toxins, blackheads, pores and pigmentations
- The scrub is gentle on the skin and doesn’t irritate either
- The quantity available is huge compared to other products in the same vicinity
- The product is beautifully packaged and easy to use with a pleasant fragrance
- Provides a decent hydration and does not dry the skin
- The scrub leaves your skin soft, smooth and supple, as a fringe benefit the product is cruelty free as well
- Some might find it to be a little steep on the pockets
- The product cannot be used alone, you might need to use a lotion after using the product
8. Josie Maran Argan Sugar Balm Body Scrub
Josie Maran’s argan oil sugar scrub, though is dressed up as a school kid for a fancy dress competition, is a shoo in into our list of top 10 best sugar scrubs for the body for the excellent results they exhibit. The scrub does wonders in exfoliating dry and dead skin cells, moisturising the skin as well as eliminating dry and flaky patches on the skin, doesn’t this tick all the boxes you are looking for? The sugar crystals are gentle enough for exfoliation and the power of the 100% argan oil helps to keep the skin hydrated. After using the product, you will be left with a softer, brighter and juicy skin that you will fall in love with.
- The simplistic jar contains 159 grams of the product
- The scrub is formulated with 100 percent pure argan oil and delicate sugar crystals, it contains a combination of argan oil, coconut oil and shea butter blended together with a nourishing balm that rejuvenates the skin
- The product claims to leave the skin softer, smoother and brighter
- The scrub does a good job in removing patches of dry and flaky skin
- It has a pleasant, subtle and non-lingering fragrance
- The skin feels hydrated enough after use of the scrub, it is not too hydrated that it feels greasy nor does it leave the skin feeling dry
- The scrub leaves the skin smooth and moisturized after use
- It is free of paraben sulphates and phthalates
- User reviews suggest that the product may not be the best for sensitive skin
- For a product that might seem a little expensive considering the quantity, it comes in a very simple jar
9. Hempz Original Herbal Sugar Body Scrub
Hempz’s original sugar scrub is a decent product that demands to be included in the list of top 10 best sugar scrubs for the body. The scrub is made with 100% hemp seed oil, now the thing that you should know about hemp seed oil is that it is one of nature’s richest sources of essential fatty acids and contains some key amino acids, vitamins and minerals significant for the rejuvenation of the skin. The product conditions and hydrated the skin leaving it feeling smooth and healthy. The serum has a sweet fragrance that is a blend of floral and fruity with a pinch of banana, which is an inevitable and enjoyable combo.
- The jar contains 259 grams of the product
- The scrub is formulated with natural hemp seed oil with a blend of natural sugar crystals. Other key ingredients involved are glycerin, safflower oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E extracts, sunflower oil, cannabis sativa oil and aloe leaf extracts.
- The product claims to gently lift away the dry and dull skin, and give your skin a polished appearance.
- The scrub is paraben free, vegan friendly and gluten free
- It leaves your skin super soft smooth, supple and nourished meanwhile efficiently removing dry and dead cells
- Your skin smells bubble gummy at the end of the shower, if you are someone who digs that scent then you are going to love this product
- The scrub applies and washes off easily from the body leaving you with a hydrated skin
- The sugar crystals are of the right size to do you a brilliant job at exfoliation
- If you are someone who is not impressed with fruity flavours and undertones, then you might find the fragrance a tad over powering
- Some user reviews suggest that the product is a little fluid-y for their taste
10. Inatur Himalayan Salt & Sugar Scrub
Inatur’s salt and sugar scrub was begging for my attention as I was researching the products for top 10 best sugar scrubs for the body. I had to include her in as the scrub is so beautifully designed and executes itself in a stoic manner. The scrub is made of microcrystalline wax formulated with tiny granules that are neither too subtle or too abrasive on the skin, this is the reason why the product suits well for both body and face. The product provides an intense conditioning and hydration to the skin leaving it feeling polished, fresh and supple. It also does a decent job in clearing blocked pores and reducing excessive sebum build up.
- The pot consists of 100 g of the product and is completely natural and vegan
- The active herbs of this scrub are – Orange, Bergamor, Pink salt, Sugar & Shea Butter. These ingredients together nourish, energises, hydrates and relaxes the skin. It also has a bit of an antiseptic property as well.
- The scrub claims to get rid of toxins and impurities meanwhile promoting speedy turnover of skin cells
- The scrub is gentle and applies easy on the skin and is quick to wash off too and it is so gentle that it can be used both on the body and face
- It leaves behind an extremely smooth, fresh, polished and hydrating effect on the skin
- The product smells heavenly with an orange zesty note
- The scrub is paraben free, sulphate free and cruelty free
- The scrub since made with both salt and sugar, provides excellent exfoliation
- The product weighs 100 g which could be less quantity for a body scrub
- If you are someone who have persistent black heads this product might not give you observable results
Few Tips For Proper Sugar Scrub Etiquette
Too much of something is always dangerous, same goes with sugar scrubs as well, there are certain things that you have to keep in mind before indulging yourself into the world of sugar scrubs.
- The sugar scrubs designed for the body should never be used for face as the skin on the face is more sensitive and can be hurt by the rougher and coarser scrub particles from the product.
- Too much scrubbing can disrupt the first layer of the skin which is usually the protective layer which makes you more susceptible to sunburns, tans, rashes etc.
- If a part of your skin is injured make sure to not use scrubs in the said regions till the wound is healed as scrubs can aggravate the condition
- Make sure to apply your scrub in gentle circular motions, do not be too hard on the skin, pressing too hard on the skin will end up irritating the skin.
- If you have sensitive skin, be uber careful about the kind of scrubs you choose and it is better to scrub your skin once in 7- 15 days rather than doing it every third and fourth day.
This concludes our list for the top 10 best sugar scrubs for the body in India, I had a blast narrowing down this list for you guys and I sincerely hope you get the same fun devouring this piece. All of us, whether we accept it or not, are a little particular about skin and we should be given that it is the largest organ in our body. It needs care, love and special attention and a sugar scrub is well capable of providing that. So, make your skin happy, let it breathe better, get it some much needed sugar goodness. Go ahead, indulge, pamper and please your body with these goodies and then thank me later. Happy shopping Scrubaholics!!
FAQ : Common Concerns Regarding Sugar Scrubs
1. What type of sugars are used in these scrubs?
The most common kind used is pure cane sugar, which is the unrefined version of your table sugar, the other one that is popularly seen is brown sugar, it causes the least abrasion to the skin meaning you won’t end up hurting your skin in the process of exfoliating. There is also turbindo sugar, the coarse one with large granules. This sugar is the least processed one of them all.
2. Can exfoliation be done on a daily basis?
It is not in your best interest to exfoliate your skin daily; it might make your skin hypersensitive and prone to irritation and breakouts. Exfoliating twice or maximum thrice a week is more than acceptable to provide you the best results.
3. Should sugar scrubs be used before or after soap?
It is best to use sugar scrubs after a soap wash because this way your skin will be clean and fresh for the sugar scrub to work on and after the scrub, it’s better to not apply soap for a while and let the skin soap in the goodness of sugar scrub.
4. Should sugar scrubs be applied on wet or dry skin?
Dry your skin and then use the scrub, this way it applies well without being washed away or being non adhesive. Then you can wash off the scrub with water and pat dry softly.
5. Which one is better for use, sugar or salt scrubs?
While both are excellent options for exfoliation, sugar crystals are more rounded and less abrasive than salt crystals which makes them a better option for sensitive skin. Sugar crystals also dissolve quicker in water.