Want tighter, brighter, and healthy-looking skin? Well, there is a key ingredient for that: Vitamin C. This is a potent antioxidant, which helps reduce irregular pigmentation, skin inflammation, and boosts collagen production. But with so many brands in the market, which do you think is the best vitamin C serum in India?
Well, there are many. But I’ve handpicked the top 10 brands for you. And if you think you’ve to cut your pockets too deep, then think over! These are super affordable, at least, when compared to those high-end expensive formulations. These are completely worth every penny that you spend. So, let’s dive in.
10 Best Vitamin C Serums for Women in India
A highly concentrated and good vitamin C serum not only wards off harsh environmental aggressors such as pollution, smoke, and UV rays, but also reduces inflammation and reverses the existing damage. So, here are a few of my favourites.
1. Himalayan Organics Skin Brightening Vitamin C Serum
- Infused with Vitamin C, E, Retinol, Hyaluronic Acid, and Niacinamide
- Suits all skin types
- Free from parabens, GMOs, sulfates, and gluten
- Cruelty free and uses organic ingredients
- Spreads easily and absorbs faster
- Reduces scars & dark spots
2. Luxura Sciences Anti Ageing Vitamin C Serum
- Contains vitamin C, daisy flower, and aloe vera
- Enhances collagen production
- Tightens the skin and gives glow
- 8-fold antioxidant protection
- Comes with a pH level of 5.5
- 96% Sunburn cell reduction
3. Dot & Key Vitamin C Serum for Skin Glow
- Active ingredients: Hyaluronic acid, peony roots, acerola cherry, bearberry leaves, and kakadu plum
- Cruelty-free and uses natural ingredients
- No nasty chemicals
- Vitamin C enhances collagen production
- Repair & smoothes fine lines
- Neutralizes dark spots
- Fights free radicals
4. Phytosil Citrus-Infused Vitamin C Face Serum
- Contains orange oil, glycerin, grapeseed, lime, chicory root, etc
- Free from parabens, mineral oil, sulfates, fragrance, phthalates
- 100% vegan. Free from cruelty
- Brightens and nourishes the skin
5. Blue Tree Anti Aging & Daily Brightening Vitamin C Serum
- Age defying and brightening serum
- Rich in natural antioxidants
- High concentrations of vitamin C
- Heals sun damage
6. O3+ Agelock Vitamin C Facial Antioxidant & Booster Serum
- Use orange peel as its active ingredient
- Enriched with strong antioxidants
- Maintains an even skin tone
- Repairs sun damaged skin
- Light formula penetrates better
7. Beautycote 20% Vitamin C Face Serum
- Contains 20% Vitamin C, Ferulic Acid, and Hyaluronic Acid
- Vitamin E in it is gentle and yet effective
- Comes with quality plant-based ingredients
- Free from parabens
- 100% vegas. Cruelty-free
8. St.Botanica Antioxidant-rich Vitamin C Boost Serum
- Contains Vitamin A, B3, C, E, Hyaluronic acid, and sugar cane
- Enhances collagen synthesis
- Controls and balances lipid secretion
- Works as natural humectant
- Natural exfoliating agent
9. SebonCare Vitamin C Serum for Facial Glow
- Contains hyaluronic acid, argan oil, lavender oil, grapeseed oil, grapeseed, aloe vera, neem, dead sea salt, almond oil, coconut oil, and licorice roots
- Free from mineral oil, parabens, and sulfates
- pH balanced formulation
- Relieves skin stress
- Brightens the skin and gives a radiant glow
10. The EnQ Ascorbic Acid-based Vitamin C Face Serum
- Contains ascorbic acid & aloe vera
- Approved by ECOCERT
- Uses only organic ingredients
- Packed with Vitamin C & Olivates
- Free from parabens, sulfates, and gluten
What is a Vitamin C Face Serum?
A vitamin C serum is a face-care product that comes packed with good amounts of vitamin C. Since it’s a serum, it either has the consistency of gel or liquid, and is applied in circular motion.
Just like any other body moisturiser or lotion, you’ll find them being sold online and even in a drugstore. On the package, you’ll more likely see words like “brightening,” “collagen boosting,” and “firming.”
And for your information, Vitamin C is one of the “potent antioxidants.” It neutralizes free radicals and helps maintain a healthy skin.
What does a Vitamin C Serum Do to Your Skin?
Usually, a vitamin C serum is acidic — meaning it sloughs away all the dead skin cells from the outer surface and leaves it smoother and brighter. This, in turn, enhances cell regeneration and produces fresh ones.
Vitamin C is extremely acidic and too bitter. Therefore, when applied on the skin, it triggers the ‘healing process’ and accelerates the collagen and elastin production.
And if you’re wondering what collagen is, let me tell you that it is a protein fiber, which makes your skin plump, firm, and further, prevents sagging. On the other hand, elastin is also a type of protein fiber, which helps your skin bounce back.
What to Look for When Buying a Vitamin C Serum?
You just can’t pick up any random vitamin C serum for your face without knowing what your skin literally needs. That’s like going on a blind date and ending it up in a mess. You don’t want to do that here.
Considering this, here is a small and no bull-shit guide to picking up the right vitamin C serum.
So, the next time when you pick up that lil’ bottle, make sure to look for these factors:
- What form does it come in?
Vitamin C may appear on a bottle’s ingredient label under different names. However, you certainly want to look for the ingredient L-ascorbic acid because this is highly effective.
An old research compared the common derivatives of vitamin C with L-ascorbic acid and found that it was far more effective than its counterparts. So, ensure that this good-guy is there on the label somewhere.
- The concentration amount
Okay, the sweet spot for vitamin C concentration levels is anywhere from 10 to 20 percent. You’ll certainly want a concentration that is greater than 8 percent. This gives maximum effectiveness. However, exceeding 20 percent might cause skin irritation. So, more is not always good.
- Other key ingredients to look for
Besides vitamin C and L-ascorbic acid (vitamin E), look for tocopherol as well on the ingredient list. If you’re wondering what this does, then let me tell you that it serves as a skin booster.
Here’s another fact: Vitamin E stabilises vitamin C to make sure you get utmost skin protection. There’s another antioxidant with the name glutathione. Heard of it?
If the package has this, it’s great. Also, check for ferulic acid because this ingredient helps in lowering the pH levels of vitamin C to less than 3.5 percent.
- Type of packaging
The way the vitamin c serum is packaged plays a key role in it’s shelf life. Exposure to light, heat, and air can degrade the quality of the serum.
So, see how it is packaged. Does it come in a dark, glass bottle with a nice dropper instead of an air pump? If yes, then it’s great.
A tube is also fine. Some retailers recommend storing the serum in the refrigerator in order to enhance its shelf life. Also, a good and reputed brand will include clear label instructions as to how to store the serums properly.
Check the results:
So what should you be looking for on your face while figuring out if a serum is doing its skin-brightening, pigment-diminishing job? After you carefully purchase it and start applying it on a daily basis, your skin will be softer, more glowy, and smoother.
You’ll see the initial (subtle) signs within a week or so. After 1-2 weeks, those ugly dark spots tend to be a little lighter. Over the course of a few months, there will be a decline in the number of dark spots you had. And your skin starts becoming firm and plump.
The best part? You’ll experience less breakouts. You’ll start looking gorgeous, honey! So be ready to get some compliments.
Benefits of Using a Vitamin C Serum
Okay, so this antioxidant can do great wonders to your skin. Here are a few important benefits to make a note of:
- Keeps your skin hydrated & nourished
One of the key derivatives of vitamin C – Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate – used in the skincare product is reported to have high hydrating effects on the skin. In fact, it decreases the transepidermal water loss and further, allows your skin to retain moisture much better.
- Helps get rid of pigmentation
Hyperpigmentation — this includes age spots, melasma, and sun spots — these occur when there’s an excess production of melanin in certain parts of the skin. This can even happen in areas where pimples have healed.
However, application of Vitamin C has been reported to impede the production of melanin. This, in turn, fades dark spots, leading to a brighter and even-toned complexion.
- Gives a brighter & radiant skin
Since vitamin C is a wonderful antioxidant, it has the power to fade even the darkest spots and pigmentation in a due course of time. Further, it smoothes your skin surface and reduces dullness. The end results? A youthful and radiant glow.
- Boosts the production of collagen
Vitamin C is very effective in boosting the production of collagen.If you’re wondering what collagen is then, let me tell you that it’s a naturally occurring protein, which depletes over time. And when there are low collagen levels in your body, it can cause wrinkles and fine lines.
- Prevents skin sagging & sun damage
So, here’s the thing: collagen is deeply connected to skin’s firmness and elasticity. When the collagen levels decline, your skin might start to sag. That’s why applying a good vitamin C serum on your face helps boost the collagen production. This results in skin tightening.
On the other hand, it can also help you from sun damage. Free radicals are one of the key reasons sun damage occurs. These are atoms but with missing electrons. Free radicals look for other atoms so that they can easily “steal” these electrons —and this leads to considerable damage to your skin.
Since vitamin C is a potent antioxidant, it protects healthy skin cells and “gives” these free radicals the electrons they want, rendering them safe.
How to Use Vitamin C Serum on Your Face?
To get the most from this wonderful serum, applying it correctly is important. So, here are a few steps to make a note of:
- Clean your face with a mild wash. Pat dry.
- Before you apply the vitamin C serum, you can apply a good toner. However, this is optional.
- Take a little amount of vitamin C serum on your fingers.
- Apply it on your face and neck.
- Next, apply a good face moisturiser. This is a must. Always use a good face moisturiser after your vitamin C serum.
- Use a good eye cream if you want to.
- Use sunscreen after this, as this is must before you step out.
- If you want, finally, do your makeup on top of this.
Ready to make your face look healthier, brighter, smoother, and glowier? Then get going with this wonderful list of products. And trust me, just like your daily moisturiser, most beauty experts and divas sweat by vitamin c serums.
Just a few drops of it before moisturiser in the morning leaves your skin protected throughout the day. Let me know which one you picked.